Conferences > International Moped BBS > Topic #1242
Reading Topic #1242

ynyfrik
Member since Aug-3-05
5 posts
Oct-25-05, 09:23 PM (EDT)

"How Do You Prevent Gas Tank From Rusting"

Hey Guys,
I have a Piaggio(vespa)Ciao which has a metal gas tank in the frame, I noticed it started to rust badly After sitting around for many years.is there anything I can do? Spray?
If i where to open hte whole thing up and oped the gas tank open(very pianful prosses, too nany boolts) and polishing down the rust spots would that stop rusting?
Or
would if I opened it up and standed down the rust and the gas tank became to thin could i weld on some more metal? In ther words would it still be strong?

Great Thanks In Your Reply!

donp
Member since Sep-8-02
995 posts
Oct-26-05, 08:27 AM (EDT)
Click to send message via ICQ  
1. "RE: How Do You Prevent Gas Tank From Rusting"
In response to message #0

you cant open up the gas tank without cutting it. rust is caused by one thing. moisture. the only way to prevent rust is to keep the tank filled with a high octane gas. low octane gas is made primarily with alcohol, whic attracts water. filling the tank with gas, and adding a fuel stabilizer for storage, leaves no room in the tank for condensation to form. especially if you store the bike in a shed, or under a tarp which is the worst way to store anything.
if rusted badly, the tank can be cleaned up with a sand blaster or media blaster, cleaned out thoroughly, then kreem coated. not an easy job on a step thru model such as a ciao.

donp

Mow-Ped
lawn mowers-bicycles-mopeds
sales and service
1695 Sunview dr
Lyndhurst, Ohio 44124

mike s.
unregistered user
Nov-27-05, 08:19 AM (EDT)

2. "RE: How Do You Prevent Gas Tank From Rusting"
In response to message #0

Greetings, I restore about 4-5 rusty lined gas tanks per month for motorcycles. The best way to repair is treat the inside of the tank with a rust dissolver such as EXRUST by KANO LABS or RUSTOL is excellant. Then after the tank has been treated and dried you can coat the inside with a fuel tank coating liner called RED-KOTE by DAMOM CHEMICALS of OHIO. , allow to dry for several days and you should have a lifetime of a rust free fuel tank. good luck ,MIKE

ynyfrik
Member since Aug-3-05
5 posts
Dec-31-05, 03:15 AM (EDT)

3. "RE: How Do You Prevent Gas Tank From Rusting"
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-05 AT 03:16 AM (EDT)

Thanks for your reply, Don and Mike.

I was looking around the internet and here and there and I dought I will find any of those chemicals here in Chicago. The Sand blaster is a reality but it seems to troublesome. I am using your tips on keeping the gas tank full but for the winter I am drainining it.

I got an idea to use a drain cleaner, called Hot Power drain cleaner by Comstar that I picked up at Home Depot, it supposedly cleans the metal to the shine. I do have to becareful not to pour in too much because there is a violent reaction and it begins to foam and i don't want it too eat up my paint on the outside.
Any Ideas? Would this work?

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks agian in reply.

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives