Subject: "2 cylce propane conversion" Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International Moped BBS > Topic #1026
Reading Topic #1026

julian
unregistered user
Sep-12-04, 12:44 PM (EDT)

"2 cylce propane conversion"

hello all,
i'm new to the whole moped thing, and i dont know much about two stroke engine mechanics, but i'm cabable and can figure stuff out. i want my tomos sprint to run on propane. is this possible? i've heard of 2 stroke engines running on propane, but i havent been able to find any info. i figured somebody on this forum might either know how to do it or might be able to point me in the right direction. any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks

julian

InfectedBootSector
Member since Dec-11-02
717 posts
Sep-17-04, 11:25 PM (EDT)

1. "RE: 2 cylce propane conversion"
In response to message #0

It would be cool to see this work, but I don't think it is practical. Propane motors sucks down more fuel that gas motors do for the same amount of work. To top that off, it costs more than gas, and is more difficult to store.

95 elite
unregistered user
Sep-26-04, 11:40 AM (EDT)

2. "RE: 2 cylce propane conversion"
In response to message #1

I think it is possible,propane is cheap,you just have to figure out where to store the little coleman bottle(thats what i would use) I would store it under the seat because its away from my hot exhaust. Then u would have to find a way to link the propane to the carb and still have the oil flowing to the motor(if its a two-stroke) Im sure it can be done,ive seen it done on other engines just not on two-strokes,they have boost bottles that u can buy for motorbikes so why not have propane

InfectedBootSector
Member since Dec-11-02
717 posts
Sep-26-04, 08:22 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: 2 cylce propane conversion"
In response to message #2

You would need a much larger tank than a Coleman lantern bottle to get any kind of range from a propane driven motor. Propane motors burn more propane per mile than gasoline, so you would need to carry at least the same amount of propane, if not more, that the stock gas tank.

It would be cool, but not practical...

95 elite
unregistered user
Sep-28-04, 07:59 PM (EDT)

4. "RE: 2 cylce propane conversion"
In response to message #3

yea but the propane could be used to add power to the moped when in need for example when going up a steep hill or for some to race.
Anyways, if there have been mopeds with custom turbos then someone can figure out a way to make use of a propane bottle.

Kemmer
unregistered user
Nov-08-04, 01:52 PM (EDT)

5. "RE: 2 cylce propane conversion"
In response to message #4

Add power??!! I doubt it. Propane produces far less power than gasoline does. I read about an Elite 80 that ran on propane but it only went like 35 mph, and used more propane per mile. Also, I think they had to design some kind of fuel injection, and a 2 stroke engine would just complicate things more. I believe it took several grad school students and a few thousand dollars to do the elite, but if you have the time and money, go for it! I'll post the link to the article later if I can find it.

Will
unregistered user
Apr-04-05, 07:13 PM (EDT)

6. "RE: 2 cylce propane conversion"
In response to message #5

Here is info on propane conversion.
Two are for cars, which will help, and one is for a moped.
http://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/moped/propane/conversion.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1972_May_June/Convert_Your_Car_To_Propane
http://www.ipns.com/chipmunk/ren/propane.htm

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives