Custom Search

Subject: "Ruckus technical problem" Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International New Scooter BBS > Topic #4442
Reading Topic #4442

white wolf of sc
unregistered user
Nov-26-05, 03:12 PM (EDT)

"Ruckus technical problem"

Hello. I have a 94 Honda Ruckus 50. It has developed a problem where it starts, but will only idle. If I give it even the tiniest goose of the throttle, it will cut off. I checked the sparkplug and put it against the frame and I get a good spark. I can put my finger over the spark plug hole and crank and it will blow my finger off the spark plug hole, so I think the compression is still quite good. I have taken the carb apart twice now and thoroughly cleaned it, and rin a fine wire through the jets to make sure they are clean. I am at the end of my rope on this. Does anybody have any suggestions?

White Wolf
www.dulcimers.4ever.cc

tortoise
Member since Aug-5-05
152 posts
Nov-26-05, 04:01 PM (EDT)

1. "RE: Ruckus technical problem"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-05 AT 04:05 PM (EDT)

Wow . . a 10 year old Honda Ruckus . . didn't know they have been around that long! If your problem began with the onset of colder weather, it is most likely choke related. How does the engine run with the air cleaner foam removed? If it hasn't been run in a long time, perhaps there is a fuel flow issue between the tank and carburetor.

CommuterSteve
Member since Aug-28-05
427 posts
Nov-26-05, 04:49 PM (EDT)

2. "RE: Ruckus technical problem"

Promise me this. Never clean the jets with wire. They scratch easily, and that alters fuel flow and atomization characteristics. It does sound like possibly a choke problem, especially if it only does it cold. Does it continue to do this once it's warmed up? My Tank had a cold-start problem and it turned out to be an idle jet that was plugged. Compressed air shot through the jets can help. It definitely sounds like either fuel or air flow issues. Make sure your air and fuel filters are clean, and replace them if there's any question about it. The throttle lets more air in, which in turn draws more fuel through the jets.

Steve
2005 Tank Urban Sporty 150
http://commutersteve.blogspot.com/

white wolf of sc
unregistered user
Nov-30-05, 04:38 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: Ruckus technical problem"
In response to message #2

Sorry about the mixup on the year of the bike. It is a 2004, not a 94. My bad. It does not change once it warms up. All it will do is idle a bit smoother, but still stall out if you apply any gas. I am in SC, so even though it is November, it is not really cold here. The bike will start and run, including throttling up if I spray a shot of starting fluid in it. That leads me to believe it is not in the rest of the engine, but in the carb. But Dang! What is wrong with my carb? I will watch the wire thing in the future and maybe get a thin sliver of bamboo to clean my jets with instead. The carb on the ruckus is a weird hybrid of a bowl type and a diaphram type carb. There is a fuel bowl, jets and float valve, which are all clear by the way, but there is this big rubber diaphram on the top part of the carb, and it contrils a piston valve that would normally be the throttle control on a carb, but on this one it is the choke? There is a plate type throttle control up near the manifold that is linked to the throttle cable. Weird design, made up to confuse us poor american folks

WW
www.dulcimers.forever.cc

White Wolf of SC
unregistered user
Nov-30-05, 05:07 PM (EDT)

4. "RE: Ruckus technical problem"
In response to message #3

I have also pulled the fuel line fromthe carb and turned the key on. The fuel pump makes its normal ticking noise, and it squirts gas out of the hose, so I think the fuel pump is good.

WW

CommuterSteve
Member since Aug-28-05
427 posts
Nov-30-05, 07:20 PM (EDT)

5. "RE: Ruckus technical problem"
In response to message #4

It definitely sounds like you're getting fuel and there's a problem in the carb. Blow some serious air through all the passages, and make sure there's no leaking gaskets or loose or cracked vacuum hoses, because if any of them suck air, it leans out the mixture and also kills the vacuum. It only takes a minute piece of dirt to plug a jet, or a tiny vacuum leak to give you a rough idle or stalling problem. I've heard of some majorly defective vacuum hoses that are not obvious just by looking until you follow each one and make sure they're not cracked, kinked, broken, disconnected, have loose clamps, etc. It's probably not a bad idea to put small hose clamps on vacuum connections rather than relying on slip-fit connections. Some scooters have a vacuum-operated fuel shutoff that only allows fuel to flow from the tank if the engine is running. Lack of vacuum can cause all kinds of problems. The hoses crack or get brittle with age and heat. Normally, an engine generates maximum vacuum at idle and the vacuum drops with the throttle open. Fuel is drawn out of the float bowl into the carburetor with this vacuum, so if it kills when you open the throttle, it's possibly because there's barely enough vacuum to start with. You can get vacuum hose and decent clamps at a good auto parts store. Sorry to be long winded, but you never know what might work.

Steve
2005 Tank Urban Sporty 150
http://commutersteve.blogspot.com/

TIMBERWOLF
unregistered user
Dec-02-05, 10:09 PM (EDT)

6. "RE: Ruckus technical problem"

GOT A 05 RUK ABOUT A MONTH AGO,NO PROBLEMS YET(THANKFULLY).YOUR PROBLEM SOUNDS LIKE A VACCUME PROBLEM.BELIEVE IT OR NOT THESE SMALL ENGINES NEED SOME RESTRICTION TO OPPERATE NORMALLY(UNLESS THE CARB IS REJETTED FOR LESS RESTRICTIVE INTAKE. SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK AIR CLEANER BOX AND ALL VACCUME LINES. HOE THIS HELPS

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives