Custom Search

Subject: "Scooter Charging System" Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International New Scooter BBS > Topic #3628
Reading Topic #3628

Patrick in NH
unregistered user
Sep-21-05, 08:00 AM (EDT)

"Scooter Charging System"

Does anyone know if the headlights on a 150cc Tank/Avanti/ other Chinese scooter run directly off the alternator?
Also, at revs, how many volts should the alternator be putting out. At rest, my battery reads 12.2V - revving it up it goes to about 12.8V
Thanks.

Strom Thurmond
unregistered user
Sep-21-05, 10:14 AM (EDT)

1. "RE: Scooter Charging System"
In response to message #0

Have you tried charging the battery overnight with a trickle charger (2 amp) and then trying it? It may be that the battery is too discharged for the scooter to charge it up fully. If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow someone else's battery (a non chinese battery) and see if that works.

SESummers
Member since Jul-24-05
108 posts
Sep-21-05, 11:23 AM (EDT)

2. "RE: Scooter Charging System"

>Does anyone know if the headlights on a 150cc Tank/Avanti/
>other Chinese scooter run directly off the alternator?

I know my Baron runs the lights off the alternator.

>Also, at revs, how many volts should the alternator be putting out. At rest, my battery reads 12.2V - revving it up it goes to about 12.8V.

I believe the standard for cars is 13.6V, but I haven't put the volt meter on the Baron yet so I don't know what mine is. But as long as it's higher than the battery (which should be something like 12.6V fully charged with no load), the current will flow in the right direction and your battery will charge. But with that small differential, maybe not very quickly.

Are you having a problem, or just wondering?

Steve
http://ScooterStory.blogspot.com

Patrick in NH
unregistered user
Sep-21-05, 01:33 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: Scooter Charging System"
In response to message #2

Steve:

My scooter came with stock 12Volt -H4 18/18 watt headlights which are plenty bright - but impossible to find. However one burned out and not knowing much about electricity, I threw in a 9003 55/60 (same thing as an H4) . Not very bright - either me or the bulbs. I read about this guy (www.easternbeaver.com) that makes a complete relay harness because motorcycles have the same problem with not being able to get the max out of their headlights. Come to find out I can't use the harness if the lights run off the alternator.

Now the funny part. The manual says that it should have a 12V 18/18Watt Bulb. But the wiring diagram in the specs that came with the scooter shows a 12Volt 35/35 watt bulb. I can get an H4 35/35 from my local Honda dealer.

I am hoping the electrical system on this puppy will power a 35 watt bulb.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am the same person that as a kid, stuck a paperclip into an electrical socket to see what it would do.

Best regards,
patrick

BaronMotorcycles
Member since May-3-05
981 posts
Sep-21-05, 01:45 PM (EDT)

4. "RE: Scooter Charging System"

On most CHinese bikes headlights run directly off the alternator, but through voltage regulator. This way brightness of the headlights is dependant on engine RPMs only at low rpm. At hig rpm, voltage regulator prevents the lights from burning out. Battery voltage will fluctuate as well and as long as it's between 12 and 14V, you're OK.

Fulltilt1
unregistered user
Sep-24-05, 07:25 PM (EDT)

5. "RE: Scooter Charging System"
In response to message #4

A Lead/Acid has a 2.1volt per cell at full charge. A 12volt battery has 6 cells and a nominal voltage of 13.2volts. Your charging system should put out in excess of 13.2 to charge the battery. If you're only measuring 12-12.8 volts from idle to full throttle you may have a partially shorted cell in the battery, or a faulty voltage regulator. If you have another known good 12volt battery you can substitute to see if the charging system comes up. Measure the battery with no load (not connected) and check for the correct voltage.

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives