Subject: "Gear Oil Question" Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International New Scooter BBS > Topic #2096
Reading Topic #2096

Coyoteran
Member since Apr-18-05
75 posts
Apr-22-05, 12:21 PM (EDT)

"Gear Oil Question"

Hi all. 2 quick questions. We have a 2005 ET4 with about 700km (425 miles) on it. There is a noise that sounds like a whistle coming from the transmission case. The sound is there when the rear tire is both moving and motionless and increases in pitch with an increase in engine rpms. Does anybody have any thoughts on this and should I be concerned.

Question two is derived from question 1. I checked the hub oil level to see if that might be the issue. Wow, the dealers don't waste a lot of excess oil topping the thing up. It is just at the minimum mark so my intent is to top it up to see if the whistle goes away. The book recommends 80w90 but the closest I can get is pure synthetic 75w90. Close enough in my books but because it is a synthetic do I have to drain and flush the original gear oil like I would if I changed from regular to synthetic engine oil?

Thanks in advance. Have a great riding weekend and keep the shiny side up.

Oh, and speaking of shiny side. A buddy of mine gave me a couple of bottles of Krown, 2 Phase Wax system a while back. I treated the ET to it last night, 45 minutes to wash it, and apply both treatments. Holy crap what a shine. The thing positively glows. Highly recommended if you are into any sort of detailing.

L8r

Coyoteran
2005 Vespa ET4
1986 Suzuki DR600 Dakar
1984 Honda 750 Nightawk S
1984 Yamaha TY250

cphilip
Member since Jul-16-03
7408 posts
Apr-22-05, 12:50 PM (EDT)

1. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #0

Better double check your owners manual. The dipstick is used for all sorts of Piaggio products. Its marks that indicate full vary from model to model. So you need to see which of those four (or is it five?) marks is full for your model. On my ET2 its the second one I think. It might vary on yours. But I doubt its the lowest one. And you could have a leak somewhere possibly. Just check on the mark your supposed to use.

Even with mine at the second mark its not much oil in there.

I am going to use 75-90 as well. Mobil 1. I cannot see any harm and do not see any 80-90W anywhere either.

Coyoteran
Member since Apr-18-05
75 posts
Apr-22-05, 01:13 PM (EDT)

2. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #1

Hi. The ET4 uses the bottom three hashmarks on the dip with the bottom being "Minimum" and the third one being "Maximum". The gear oil (and I am starting to suspect that its not really gear oil that my friendly neighbourhood vespa dealer put in) just touches the bottom mark.

Don't get me wrong, I am not slagging the guys @ the dealership but they tend to be better salesmen than mechanics. And they are definitely ambassadors for the whole scooter lifestyle. They opened up the business because they love to ride. It is ironic though that their business is now so successful that they now don't have time to ride.

WRT the leaks, none. The bike is parked in a garage on a concrete floor so a leak would be easy to spot. Oh, and just to clarify, Vespas don't leak, they mark their spot

Keep the shiny side up.

Coyoteran
2005 Vespa ET4
1986 Suzuki DR600 Dakar
1984 Yamaha TY250

cphilip
Member since Jul-16-03
7408 posts
Apr-22-05, 01:59 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #2

Yea... sound the same on the ET2 then. Second mark is low normal. Sounds reasonable to belive its the same gear box on the ET4.

You will find when you change it that they cleverly located the oil drain hole so it will be almost impossible to drain it into anything known to man. I finaly resorted to just putting an obsorbent pad under it and in the wheel well. And since its not a bunch it gets it all. I was draining mine the other night. About a cup comes out when its at the second mark. Not maybe that much. I forget to look up the capacity though.

Thats a 6mm Allen head bolt in that drain hole if I recall correctly.

Mine is indeed "marking its spot".... +(

Brand new too. Looks like dealer prep is not all its cracked up to be... nor is the skill and choice of gear case sealants! Bah!

eric
Member since Apr-12-04
120 posts
Apr-22-05, 02:22 PM (EDT)

4. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-05 AT 02:30 PM (EDT)

Yeah, it's a pain to change the hub oil. I've resorted to removing the rear wheel to do it. I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe that it only requires something like 100ml in the hub.

Update: I just checked the manual and the capacity is 5oz. ~150ml (or 147.867648ml to be exact according to Google).

Cheers,
Eric
---
2004 Vespa ET4 150
2004 BMW R1150R

---
2004 Vespa ET4 150
2004 BMW R1150R

cphilip
Member since Jul-16-03
7408 posts
Apr-22-05, 03:01 PM (EDT)

5. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #4

Ah! I was close. I think a half a cup is 4 ounces so... yea... sounds perzactly about right.

ES Scooter Boy
unregistered user
Apr-22-05, 05:06 PM (EDT)

6. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #5

I paid my Vespa dealer to service one of my ET2s at my house, which included changing the hub oil. It definitely isn't easy. He just used a standard allen wrench and exercised lots of persistance and patience. Afterwards I purchased a 1/2 litre of Tetur? hub oil from him for like $4.50, it's enough to change the hub oil probably 50 times! I'll change the oil in my second ET2 myself.

cphilip
Member since Jul-16-03
7408 posts
Apr-22-05, 05:13 PM (EDT)

7. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #6

I think I paid like 8 bucks for a quart of Mobil 1 full synthetic 75W 90 Gear oil. comes in a handy nozzle spout that will reach in there to that dipstick hole fairly well for filling. Should change it a good many times.

I have to be very self reliant as there is no Vespa dealer within 120 miles of me. I am halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte. So both ways is equaly difficult to deal with. Would be a half a day and like 40 or 50 bucks worth of fuel to go deal with it.... and heaven forbid I have to leave it and do a return and double all that. So its not going to the dealer unless its cost effective and therefore serious enough to deal with it. Going to have to be something serious.

Coyoteran
Member since Apr-18-05
75 posts
Apr-22-05, 07:52 PM (EDT)

8. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #7

Hi all.
I drained and replaced the hub oil with Q State 75w90 synthetic and whatya know. The whistle is gone. I made a little gutter out of a cut up cereal box and ran it down to a tuna can. Undid the allen bolt from the muffler side through the wheel spokes and refilled it. The entire operation took 10 minutes, the bulk of which was spent waiting for the last drops of oil to run out.

I am now positive the dealer didn't use a heavy gear oil. The waste was way too thin and runny (scooter was cold) and it had no smell. Gear oil has a strong sulfer smell to it that is instantly recognizable. This stuff had no more odor than tap water.

Thanks for the words of advice and keep the shiny side up.

Coyoteran
2005 Vespa ET4
1986 Suzuki DR600 Dakar
1984 Yamaha TY250

cphilip
Member since Jul-16-03
7408 posts
Apr-22-05, 08:15 PM (EDT)

9. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #8

Well don't condem them too fast.

80-90 weight gear oil is about the same viscosity as 30w motor oil. It does not always smell nor is it always dark. It can be clear honey colored to dark maroon. Its not an idication of what they used. They measure viscosity of Gear oil differently than Motor oil so its misleading. But I have seen dark think 30W motor oil too. So I think your issue was more volume than type. I think, from what you described, you were below the normal level and thats mainly what fixed it. But whatever... heck.... glad it fixed it!

eoin
unregistered user
May-11-05, 01:19 PM (EDT)

10. "RE: Gear Oil Question"
In response to message #9

i bought an et2 for next to nothing (but it was a bucket of parts). its almost finished now so i decided it time to change the gear oil but i have 2 very annoying problems that i am sure ye'll be able to help me with
1) the dipstick is impossible to turn at the angle. do i have to take the rear wheel off?
2) where in the name of god is the drainage plug?

thanks all.

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives