Subject: "weight limit for vespa rider?" Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International Scooterist BBS > Topic #42170
Reading Topic #42170

yeahyeahyeah
Member since Jun-2-04
539 posts
Oct-05-05, 05:17 PM (EDT)

"weight limit for vespa rider?"

ok so i have a friend that's pretty big guy.. like well over 300 big. and i have a feeling he might ask me if he can try riding my vespa... um. i really don't want him to.. but if he does ask... should i just tell him he's too damn fat & he'll break it?

1974 Vespa 177 super
1963 Lambretta Li 125
1972 Honda CB500

DaveyRamone
unregistered user
Oct-05-05, 05:32 PM (EDT)

1. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #0

Biggest guy I seen riding a Vespa was Whitley Bay 1990.Over 6'5" and at least 25 stone's(320 lb's?) on a MK1 T5.

He could ride it but the suspnsion was totally grounded out.LOL

O
Member since Sep-12-04
67 posts
Oct-05-05, 05:35 PM (EDT)

2. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

FUCK NO! I'm 270 and have had my girly ride bitch. The only thing is that I scraped my pipe a lot more on turns. Make sure you got good shocks.

I know a guy thats like 6'4" and rides a smallframe

Orlando - 72 VLB1T

old97
Member since Jul-8-04
2842 posts
Oct-05-05, 05:38 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

Ive seen pics of a p200 with 2 guys riding on the seat over 250 each plus an extra hanging off the front...not street riding mind you....
Id think itd be ok as long as hes not jumping anything..

Chris (the slowpoke)
Piston Broke SC
Austin Tx
http://www.pistonbrokesc.com/

rico
Member since May-26-04
929 posts
Oct-05-05, 05:43 PM (EDT)

4. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

Here is what you got to say to him and everyone else after, "Sorry, my insurance does not cover other riders, if something was to happen I wouldn't want to be responsible, and I'd rather you be upset with me for not letting you ride my scoot, than having to hate you for sueing me"

That's it!

Rico

Gsvespa
unregistered user
Oct-05-05, 06:01 PM (EDT)

5. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #4

You can always tell him to stop eating all the pies!!!

At least that's what people shout at my fat ass when I ride by....

Seriously though......I am pushing the 300lb range......and I ride a P200......I have been doing so for well over 15 years......

I also ride 2 up with my wife.. so there ya go........

I don't know how safe it is.....and one day my axle may well sheer off...but it hasn't happened sofar.

netweasel
unregistered user
Oct-10-05, 00:26 AM (EDT)

26. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #5

>I also ride 2 up with my wife.. so there ya go........

What you and your wife choose to do is your own business.

Greggio
unregistered user
Oct-05-05, 09:35 PM (EDT)

6. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

Don't the owners' manuals state a safe carrying weight? I'm sure that they did for the old scooters.

The ss180 manual (I don't have it with me) had a weight for both passengers (can't remember what it was, though) and luggage (something like 10kgs).

Dutch
Member since Jun-10-05
188 posts
Oct-05-05, 09:41 PM (EDT)

7. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #6

Is he a friend?......a real one?....you know what I mean. Or is he really, honestly more of an acquantance?

If he is a TRUE friend, let him ride it.....it he lays it down,a TRUE friend will come through for you and do the right thing.

Like you would for him.

rico
Member since May-26-04
929 posts
Oct-06-05, 10:42 AM (EDT)

8. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #7

Ya well, I'm still waiting for cash from a friend who dropped my Allstate.

Rico

Nevermore
Member since Jul-25-05
521 posts
Oct-06-05, 11:01 AM (EDT)

9. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #8

I am a big dude..about 230 and I ride a 50cc Zuma. Now with the older Vespa's I don't know what your shocks are like, but if you ride two up you are going to hit that 300 weight limit.

If you don't want him to ride it..tell him no. If you are only saying no because he is 300 pounds, and you let everyone else ride it, then you are just a jerk.

Just my 2 cents. Now if he is 400 pounds...that is a different story.

M

"It's a Sledgehammer"

hibbert
unregistered user
Oct-10-05, 04:27 PM (EDT)

29. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #8

Again remove the side stand that was not original equipment, put a standard piston port motor back in and you wouldn't contineously have these kinds of issues. Shit the value of the bike would actually increase.

A side stand is like that folding kick start lever I had in 1986, it serves absolutly no purpose and they suck. Brillance was it that thought ya lets lean the Vespa over with the heavy side opposite and see how much gravity it takes to flop back over. It's like a weeble woble? Not to mention they screw up your left hand turn leaning potential.

hibbert

rico
Member since May-26-04
929 posts
Oct-10-05, 08:17 PM (EDT)

30. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #29

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-05 AT 08:22 PM (EDT)

Again, Mr. Originality do you know my friend Chata? . Do you intentially search through out the bbs to bash my threads to talk shit. I'm not in the mood for stupid games. I got enough going on.

You're starting to remind me of Stafford, and Burns. IT"S GETTING FUCKING ANNOYING!!!! With that said I hope you get it.

Rico

hibbert
unregistered user
Oct-10-05, 10:25 PM (EDT)

31. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #30

presto

joeb
Member since Jan-18-05
469 posts
Oct-06-05, 11:17 AM (EDT)

10. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

I am 235 lbs and I ride two-up with my wife, who 135 lbs all the time on my mostly stock VBA. We zip around town just fine and roll at 45 mph in the country, which is not much faster than my usually 50 mph alone. So I don't see weight as an issue.

Anyone ever notice that old owner manuals do not list an actual weight limit?

My concern with your friend would be riding experience. If he has ridden before, or has pretty good experience riding motorcycles, then consider letting him ride your scoot, if he asks. Why lie to the guy. Just be honest. No experience, no ride. If he's your friend and does have experience, he'll pay for any damages.

joe
www.topdeadcentersc.com
VCOA
'59 VBA
'64 GS
'66 Super

impact10
Member since Nov-12-04
16 posts
Oct-06-05, 11:19 AM (EDT)

11. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

My first Vespa was a Super 150 that I would ride to work. A co-worker who played football (linebacker) at The University of Arizona asked to ride it and did regularly. He is 6'5" and 320 lbs of pure muscle. I actually have a picture taped to my computer monitor of him sitting on the Super and the suspension is totally bottomed out! I never noticed that it was bottomed out because I was too busy laughing at him. When he was done he would pick it up (by himself) and set it back on the sidewalk!

joeb
Member since Jan-18-05
469 posts
Oct-06-05, 11:46 AM (EDT)

13. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #11

320 lb linebacker? More like an offensive lineman! Pac-10 linbackers are usually 220-250 lbs ; )

joe
www.topdeadcentersc.com
VCOA
'59 VBA
'64 GS
'66 Super

JanniCash
Member since Sep-13-05
557 posts
Oct-06-05, 11:34 AM (EDT)

12. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

You said "I really don't want him to" .... are you just looking for smart excuses because it's the kind of "friend" you can't be honest with?

Jan

Dr Sparks
unregistered user
Oct-06-05, 12:20 PM (EDT)

14. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #12

try 'oi no. You'll break it' and grin like tis a joke.

That way he'll hopefuilly get the message qand you won't have to be too rude?

Johnny Diablo
Member since Sep-1-05
1179 posts
Oct-06-05, 12:53 PM (EDT)

15. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #14

There are weight limits on the tire ya know.

I think the pirellis had the highest at 480? Take into account that most of a vespas weight is on the back tire. A Vespa weighs 220?

Widebody Modding Forum:

http://diablossc.com/Forum/default.asp

Dr Sparks
unregistered user
Oct-06-05, 03:46 PM (EDT)

17. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #15

Thats news to me... I can't see why it would be that low, especially as your tube must (I assume) take most of the strain, and I'm damn sure they're not weight rated?

GS160 Guy
Member since Apr-13-04
2674 posts
Oct-06-05, 06:21 PM (EDT)

20. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #17

same here. As far as I'm concerned, there is NO weight limit.

the weight will obviously affect the scooters behaviour and abilities, but there is no limit that a Vespa can be loaded to.

2 huge fat gits with luggage? fine. It;ll be slow, and take longer to stop.

It'll still do the job. and no, the frame won't bend unless you try to give an elephant a lift back to the zoo....

Dr Sparks
unregistered user
Oct-10-05, 04:15 PM (EDT)

28. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #20

I've had somewhere in the region of 28 stone (I make that pushing 400lb?) , plus enough cds to do a decent djing job, in a flight case, plus rally luggage on a P2 with no problems for about 120 miles 2 years ago.

Granted my knees were touching the toolbox and it wouldn't go round corners at speed (which was OK as it didn't do more than 50 all day for some reason) and I had to braake with my right heel when I needed the rear brake but it survived (which was more than I did btw, fucked my knee up at the rally and couldn't ride it home again!)

And I wouldn't want to do it again!

eyesquash
Member since Jun-9-03
921 posts
Oct-06-05, 12:58 PM (EDT)

16. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

Just say no.

I let a little guy ride my allstate once -- he crashed it into a curb.

It doesn't have to be about his weight, although that could be a show stopper by itself. It's about letting someone else ride your bike who doesn't have one of their own like it.

Tell him it's harder than it looks, because it is.

Scott

President for Life, SBSC

JanniCash
Member since Sep-13-05
557 posts
Oct-06-05, 05:39 PM (EDT)

18. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #16

Indeed. Was yesterday at the dealer to pickup my Haynes and saw the black Verona he sold just a week after my one back there ... broken windshield, broken break lever, scratches on the left body panels. Odometer reads 187 Km. No accident, single vehicle crash ... so it definitely takes a little more that just "Twist & Go".

Jan

cphilip
Member since Jul-16-03
7408 posts
Oct-06-05, 06:11 PM (EDT)

19. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #18

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-05 AT 06:26 PM (EDT)

I indeed plan to quit riding when I hit 300 pounds. Just got 120 more to go...

I got a friend thats close to that size. Dr Ligon here at CU. We call him "Fatman" and he rides his own P200. We did the Clauss mounts and Sebacs all around to his. Set all the way firm. Rides him pretty good. He also has a Jog. Funny sight to see him on that Jog. When I let him ride my newly put together T5 he came back and I could not get the seat latch open. Seems he finaly set it all the way down on the pin for me. Had to pry it lose and then adjust it....

GS160 Guy
Member since Apr-13-04
2674 posts
Oct-06-05, 06:32 PM (EDT)

21. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #19

Fat Tony in London must be easily 30 stone plus. He's ridden Vespas longer than I have. he was already a known regular at R.Agius by 1982.
still rides them. Bitubo shocks and a big comfy seat are the only modifications..
The bikes are fine. I know this because I owned a P200 that he'd traded in for a new one. It was faultless....i kept it for a few months as a daily rider, and the bike was fine.

It was a bargain too....the shop just wanted it gone, so were going to scrap it.
I was offered it for nothing, as it was useless to them. Fat bloke had removed his chrome panels and bitubo shocks and special fat bastard seat to put on his new one.
I gave my mate who worked there £10 to get himself a drink....and I had to argue with him to get him to take it!!
Picked it up, took it home, stuck some shocks and a seat on it, and I had a nice P2 with no sidepanels (big deal..like I care).....result!!!

dwestmodesto
Member since Sep-10-03
100 posts
Oct-09-05, 08:41 PM (EDT)

22. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

I don't know about a vespa, but I know that my Bajaj Chetak hauls me...about 300lbs and my wife with no problem.
If you are uncomfortable with someone riding your scooter, just say so. I imagine it would handle the weight fine.
hasta,
Dave

izzy
unregistered user
Oct-09-05, 09:43 PM (EDT)

23. "Lambretta"

This guy looks pretty big:

Look how many people are on this Lambretta. 26!

Of course, these are Lambrettas. I wouldn't expect the same durability from a Vespa

Milan
Member since Dec-9-04
2025 posts
Oct-09-05, 11:15 PM (EDT)

24. "RE: Lambretta"
In response to message #23

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-05 AT 11:16 PM (EDT)

<<Of course, these are Lambrettas. I wouldn't expect the same durability from a Vespa >>

Um, duh.

sportshooter
unregistered user
Oct-10-05, 00:20 AM (EDT)

25. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"

Well' My fat Ass is 350 lbs and I ride my P125X or Stella everyday! I never bottom out and still top out at 55mpg. So let the fat Bastard ride!

radioradioheadhead
unregistered user
Oct-10-05, 02:59 PM (EDT)

27. "RE: weight limit for vespa rider?"
In response to message #25

I feel kind of bad putting this one up.

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives