home Scooter BBS Webster's 1828 Dictionary popular pages search the old BBS

Custom Search

Subject: "What happens if you put oil in your cars gas tank?." Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International Scooterist BBS > Topic #33321
Reading Topic #33321

BingBang
Member since Feb-26-04
1353 posts
Dec-10-04, 02:56 PM (EDT)

"What happens if you put oil in your cars gas tank?."

Ok another stupid question,

I need to drain my scoots gas tanks for winterizing. Yes, I know about using the gas additive "Stabil". I want to drain the tank so that I can bring the scoot into the house to work on this winter.

Can I pour the gas with 2stroke oil into my cars gas tank or will it screw something up?

1961 VNB (DR 180)
1964 S3 TV-175
1974 Rally 200
1974 Primavera
1979 50 Special (DR 100, Leo Vinci pipe)

adamXYL
Member since Jun-3-02
2860 posts
Dec-10-04, 03:39 PM (EDT)

1. "RE: What happens if you put oil in your cars gas tank?."
In response to message #0

it will give you some top end lubrication, possibly create an undetectable amount of deposit on you plugs and smoke a bit more than normal but also more than likely undetectable...

it's fine, i've done it before and i see racers do it with race gas premix before they haul home....

adamXYL / peakSC / Serveterans /
LcUSA

"that's how we do it in
'The Springs'..."

www.peakscooterclub.com
www.tenyearlates.com

John
Member since Jun-6-02
5724 posts
Dec-10-04, 04:36 PM (EDT)

2. "RE: What happens if you put oil in your cars gas tank?."

On a carbureted engine, I did it quite a bit. For much the same reason as you but also when I'd get really low on gas and would top up with some of the mix I had in the back for my saw and blower. I don't remember if I've done it since I got an injected truck. I would, however, not put a hell of a lot in one tank, I'd try to spread it out a little when the tank is low and then fill up to help dilute it even more.

Unforgiven SC - the NEW home of Unforgiven SC

http://www.unforgivensc.net

Texas is the reason

e
Member since Jun-3-02
7493 posts
Dec-10-04, 06:37 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: What happens if you put oil in your cars gas tank?."

Adding it to an already full tank? probably not much.
It's not uncommon for farmers or folks in other not so enviromentaly conscious places to add oil to thier gas in cars/tractors/trucks etc.
My roomate is british and does it from time to time.

If it is a new car, I wouldn't.
you have all sorts of sensors and a catalytic converter.
If it's an older vehicle, go for it.

I worked in the garage at a gas station years ago, and I had a '71 dodge pickup that had auxilary saddle tanks, so I could hold 100 gallons.
Some guy came in a full sized diesel dually monster truck of some sort and topped off w/ preimum gas...
Needless to say it didn't work, and he paid us like $200 to pull his gastank and drain and dispose of the 80 or so gallons of gas/diesel mix (about 80/20 percent gas/diesel I'd guess) in there.
Well were do you dispose of 80 gallons of gas?

You put it in your '71 dodge pickup, turn the idle screw up a notch so it doesn't stall. Engine was quiet but ran like shit, smoked a bit, and I didn't have to buy gas for months..

“You see things … on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. In a car you’re always in a compartment and because you’re used to it you don’t realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You’re a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.
On a cycle the frame is gone. You’re completely in contact with it all. You’re in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming. That concrete whizzing by five inches below your foot is the real thing, the same stuff you walk on, it’s right there, so blurred you can’t focus on it, yet you can put your foot down and touch it anytime, and the whole thing, the whole experience is never removed from immediate consciousness.”
-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

thebigpalooka
Member since Feb-27-04
184 posts
Dec-11-04, 06:29 AM (EDT)

4. "RE: What happens if you put oil in your cars gas tank?."

I'm gonna say don't do it. After a year and a half of ASE training (or ASS, if you've had to answer as many Technician A/B/C ?'s as I have) I have to say that your modern 4 stroke car engine will tolerate a lot less than your scoot. Intake and exhaust valve deposits, piston deposits, catallytic converter overheating, 1 or 2 O2 sensors at $150 a pop on the cheap end, etc. And if you've ever seen a car thats run without a catyllitic converter you'll notice the soot build up above the exhaust pipe, a pain to rub out of paint. Yeah, this might be an extreme description, but ...
I'll take the pint of caution to the one that drowns my sorrows!
Palooka-Pharaohs SC WI
another tip-dont fill your tank if you see a fuel tanker at the station, the sediment that gets stirred up from the in ground tank during filling can float around for quite a while!

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

€˘ Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

€˘ removing old wiring harness?

€˘ Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

€˘ Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

€˘ Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives