Subject: "Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake" Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International Scooterist BBS > Topic #22981
Reading Topic #22981

Throg47
Member since Oct-6-03
284 posts
Feb-26-04, 08:10 AM (EDT)

"Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"

Has anyone tried this slight modification of a Lambretta braking system. Did you notice any benefits?

http://www.lcgb.co.uk/workshop9.html

Racing Lambrettas
unregistered user
Feb-26-04, 08:17 AM (EDT)

1. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"
In response to message #0

There are a lot of benefits, believe me. Attention though, NOT to be done on drum brakes. Ciao Paolo

Throg47
Member since Oct-6-03
284 posts
Feb-26-04, 10:10 AM (EDT)

2. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"
In response to message #1

Thanks. I believe you. I will try it out when I get my front hub/brake back together.

Do you have anything to add to their instructions?

Tim
Member since Jun-7-02
260 posts
Feb-26-04, 12:15 PM (EDT)

3. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"
In response to message #1

>There are a lot of benefits, believe me. Attention though,
>NOT to be done on drum brakes. Ciao Paolo

Why can't this be used with drum brakes?

Thanks,

Tim

www.vespaclubofcanada.com

Racing Lambrettas
unregistered user
Feb-26-04, 12:42 PM (EDT)

4. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"
In response to message #3

Because braking would become too rude, not progressive. I have a copy of the Arthur Francis instructions for the conversion on my site:

Ciao Paolo

jesse dillon
unregistered user
Feb-26-04, 12:58 PM (EDT)

5. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"
In response to message #4

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-04 AT 01:10 PM (EDT)

my brake is a drum and i believe is hooked up reverse pull. short of goin home and taking a piture of it the best on i could find is:

im fairly certian that dean suinn's is too, though i have no photographic proof. and though i'm not certain i believe that most of the lambrettas that have raced in the ASRA have been hooked up that way as specific wording in the rules establishes it as legal even in stock class.

never had any problems. stops on a dime and gives nine cents change.

Hey Jack Anorak
Member since Dec-23-03
265 posts
Feb-26-04, 02:09 PM (EDT)

6. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"
In response to message #5

Jesse arn't you guys using a canteleverd reverse pull system?

Das Twit

Mr T
unregistered user
Feb-26-04, 03:03 PM (EDT)

7. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"

Here are a couple of tricks. You should pick which ones you want to follow because you need some special tools to do it this way.

1. The outer needs to be cut by about 8"-10". But before you cut it put it in place and use a plastic zip tie to secure it to the right (as if sitting on the bike) fork leg above the welded bent rod cable guide. Then you can see exactly how long the outer should be, but be sure to turn the wheel to make sure that it doesn't bind with the tire. I use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut the cable.

2. You need to drill out the cable stop boss on the hub with a 1/4" drill bit. I have an extra long drill bit and I don't think that you can do it with a regular sized one.

3. Put nuts and washers on both sides of the boss when you secure the repositioned cable adjuster to it. This makes the cable adjuster fixed.

4. Use a read brake ferule at the cable outer to brake arm actuator connection. I threaded mine and used a cable adjuster, (like the ones for gear and clutch cable). This way you can adjust the cable like you would adjust the clutch or gears. I couldn't see a way to get much adjustment out of the original adjuster with this reverse pull set up even if it wasn't fixed with nuts and bolts on both sides of the boss.

I like the reverse pull set up. It makes a lot of sense because with the original set up and the dive that you experience when braking, the cable wants to elongate as you brake. This makes you pull on the brake lever harder and harder as you are braking. The reverse pull works the opposite way. You aren't fighting the effects of the front end diving while braking. It is an easy mod and I think that it looks pretty sweet, too.

Grumpy225
Member since Dec-8-03
2231 posts
Feb-26-04, 03:08 PM (EDT)

8. "RE: Anyone try the LCGB reverse pull brake"

I had reverse pull on both drum and disc brakes (various bikes) and they both worked perfect. It's easy to set up and only takes a few min.

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives