Custom Search

Subject: "lammy can't run more than 20m." Archived thread - Read only

Conferences > International Scooterist BBS > Topic #11329
Reading Topic #11329

bing
unregistered user
Apr-17-03, 00:13 AM (EDT)

"lammy can't run more than 20m."

just today i encountered this problem. my 1960 lambretta li150 s2 kick starts and idle fine. when i took in on the road, the engine stalled after 20meters. i kicked, it started and i moved off again but engine died shortly... this went on and on till i got pissed. pushed it home, stripped the carbs. and fuel filter, washed thoroughly and changed the spark plug. took it out again, same problem.

a local workshop i spoke to suspected it could be the fuel tap. he suggested replacing the entire assembly. anyone knows if it could have anything to do with the contact point or condenser or even the high tension coil or cable, for that matter?

any inputs will be appreciated.

thanks.

John M Stafford
Member since Jun-3-02
9072 posts
Apr-17-03, 00:20 AM (EDT)

1. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #0

Fuel flow, and thus the fuel tap, is ridiculously easy to check. Pull the fuel line from the carb. Does the gas flow?

A hot condenser will exhibit the same symptoms. Easiest way to test this is to check the spark the moment it dies. Pull the plug cap, put a new plug in the cap, rest the other end of the plug against the engine case and kick. If no spark on a hot engine, but yes spark on a cold engine, then it's your condenser.

Enjoy,
John M. Stafford

Check out the 2003 USA & Canada Scooter Rally & Race Calendar: http://scooterso.com/calendar/

bing
unregistered user
Apr-17-03, 00:36 AM (EDT)

2. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #1

thanks for ur input john. will certainly try your method to test my condenser.

as a matter of fact, i've also tried replacing a dellorto carb, and it is still the same. checked fuel tap, yes fuel flows.

>>A hot condenser will exhibit the same symptoms. Easiest way to test this is to check the spark the moment it dies. Pull the plug cap, put a new plug in the cap, rest the other end of the plug against the engine case and kick. If no spark on a hot engine, but yes spark on a cold engine, then it's your condenser.

having said that, apart from the condenser, could there be other possibilities where the fault lies?

thanks.

Richard
Member since Jun-7-02
1834 posts
Apr-17-03, 04:59 AM (EDT)

3. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #2

if it did the same thing with a new carb, well that kind of rules out the carb.
bad ignition wires vibrating and becoming intermittent usually developing a hole somewhere.
blocked fuel line.
too long of a fuel line (starvation). You'll usually see bubbles in the line. make sure the fuel union is pointing upwards and check the union itself for blockage.
kill switch short. remove the kill switch wire and see if the problem goes away.
cold or broken solder joints on stator plate.
Like John said, bad condensor.

-Richard

does it hold an idle for as long as you like or does it eventually die suddenly? how does it stop running, does it come to a halt? is it easy to kickstart again? have you checked or chaged the sparkplug?

>thanks for ur input john. will certainly try your method to
>test my condenser.
>
>as a matter of fact, i've also tried replacing a dellorto
>carb, and it is still the same. checked fuel tap, yes fuel
>flows.
>
>>>A hot condenser will exhibit the same symptoms. Easiest way to test this is to check the spark the moment it dies. Pull the plug cap, put a new plug in the cap, rest the other end of the plug against the engine case and kick. If no spark on a hot engine, but yes spark on a cold engine, then it's your condenser.
>
>having said that, apart from the condenser, could there be
>other possibilities where the fault lies?
>
>thanks.

http://www.vespamaintenance.com
http://www.capitalcityscooterclub.com

bing
unregistered user
Apr-17-03, 06:16 AM (EDT)

4. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #3

>>>too long of a fuel line (starvation). You'll usually see bubbles in the line. make sure the fuel union is pointing upwards and check the union itself for blockage.

I kinda suspect its to do with the fuel line or tap. will check on that as soon as i get home. just got back from a local dealer and bought 2 new old stock petrol tap filter and a couple of condensers. will replace 'em and see how it goes.

>>>does it hold an idle for as long as you like or does it eventually die suddenly? how does it stop running, does it come to a halt? is it easy to kickstart again? have you checked or chaged the sparkplug?

it holds for as long as i want it to without twisting the throttle, so to speak the idling timing is perfect. each time the engine stalls, one kick and the engine ignites. yeah i've changed the plug.

thanks for ur input richard.

Stu
Member since Jun-7-02
129 posts
Apr-17-03, 10:05 AM (EDT)

5. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #4

Heres an easy one to add. You can get the same problem if the breather holes in your gas cap are pluged up. It creates a vacuum and wont allow the fuel to flow even though the tap may be fine.

Bing
unregistered user
Apr-17-03, 11:38 PM (EDT)

6. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #5

checked that as well. in fact i've tried running without the gas cap. same problem.
however, i'm begining to wonder if its anything to do with the length of the fuel line and the way it's routed to the carb + the fuel filter along its way?

Richard
Member since Jun-7-02
1834 posts
Apr-17-03, 11:55 PM (EDT)

7. "RE: lammy can't run more than 20m."
In response to message #6

We ad a bitch of a time getting a filtere to not fuck up the flow..
that might be your prob.. try taking the filter out and use a short piece of tubing..

-Richard

>carb + the fuel filter along its way?

http://www.vespamaintenance.com
http://www.capitalcityscooterclub.com

The International Scooterist BBS is closed, but the archives live on. Please visit ScootRally.com for current, active discussions, or choose from this list of recent postings:

Re: Exhaust timing

Is the P200 AC Alternator a half or full wave system?

Re: removing old wiring harness?

removing old wiring harness?

Exhaust timing

Re: Any Cushman GS owners on here? Post a pic of your ride!

Pinasco 177 cast iron problems

Wiring in a power socket into a post 1999 PX200E

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Smallframe flywheel misssing magnet?

Re: Karla's 90 from 2002 foodtastesgood

comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search

ScootRally.com . ScooterBBS.com . Search the ScooterBBS.com Archive . Privacy Policy

International Scooterist BBS Archives